Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mom and Dad's Night Out

Derek and I were able to get a baby-sitter last weekend for a much needed date night! We started off by dining at our first Japanese Restraunt, Derek ordered a plate of tuna rolls (raw tuna wrapped with rice in seaweed). I couldn't believe he was making me be so adventerous on our first night out! I did try ONE, I guess it wasn't too horrible. We didn't know that you were supposed to put the whole thing in your mouth at once, it was a little difficult trying to bite through the seaweed. I haven't decided if I am going to give it a second chance yet or not. But we are going to try to get out on our own once a month and try a new local place to eat.


After dinner we went to an area called "American Village" While we were walking around we found a vintage store. I am not sure what the difference is between vintage and thrift, but we were in shock over some of the prices that we were seeing.


The Japanese lady working at the store started doing the Thriller dance when she saw Derek wearing this jacket! It cost 15,000 Yen (about $150) and I think Micheal Jackson actually wore it in the Thriller video.


And these Adidas shoes straight from the 1980s cost 4800 yen (about $48). To me they look worth about 48 cents, OK- maybe $4.80 they do have purple stripes and they are high tops.


4 comments:

  1. Vintage is a nice way of saying antique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got caught up on reading your blog. Great job with it! I am so curious about how things are over there....not that I have any desire to live there. I will be content looking at your pics. You and the kids are troopers for hanging in there...I'm sure its an adjustment. Take care. We miss you. -Joel, Lindsay & Lance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derek in the thriller jacket made me laugh so hard! mmmm tuna rolls, have one for me next time. It's pretty amazing you got a date night, how did you make friends so fast? you guys look great! I wish we could hang, maybe we could meet the next time I'm in HI..which will probably be never now that we bought a house.

    ReplyDelete